Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Vive le livre!

RevolutionRevolution by Jennifer Donnelly is gripping, and moving, and intense, all of which befits a YA novel about two troubled girls struggling with death and their changing worlds. The primary protagonist lives in 21st century Brooklyn, and her counterpoint lives in Paris during - the title may have given this away, so don't be too surprised - the French Revolution. I was totally caught up in their stories, and in getting to know them, their friends, and their worlds. All in all, so very well done.

An Exact Replica of a Figment of My Imagination: A MemoirAlso engrossing, and also good at making me cry, though in a very different way, is An Exact Replica of a Figment of My Imagination, by Elizabeth McCracken. This memoir about the stillbirth of McCracken's first child carries the overlay of sadness you'd expect, but without a hint of the mawkishness you'd fear. It's not a book I closed thinking "well, that's beautiful" - it's not healing - but it's strong and vivid and real.

The Year of the Hare: A NovelAnd just to be completely elsewhere, I also read The Year of the Hare by Arto Paasilinna. What can I say? It's a Finnish fable-eque tale of a journalist who drops out of his life after stopping at the side of a road to care for a young hare which was hit by the car in which he was riding. It's quirky. It has charm. It did nothing that made me yearn for a simpler life working with my hands, in nature, far from the madding crowd. But good for those of you who do - just watch out for bears.

1 comment:

  1. i'm leading a discussion at one of our local barnes & nobles next week on the mccracken book. what i loved most about that book was the black humor that got her through. "strong and vivid and real," for sure.

    ReplyDelete