Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Armchair Audies Category Report: Mystery


And my final official Armchair Audies category: Mystery! 

The nominees for the Audie award are:

THE NIGHTMARE
Lars Kepler
Read by Mark Bramhall (Macmillan Audio)
Read the review 

THE BEAUTIFUL MYSTERYLouise Penny
Read by Ralph Cosham (Macmillan Audio)
Read the review 

AND WHEN SHE WAS GOODLaura Lippman
Read by Linda Emond (Harper Audio)
Read the review 

HUSH MONEYChuck Greaves
Read by Dan Butler (AudioGO)
Read the review 

THE GOOD THIEF'S GUIDE TO VEGASChris Ewan
Read by Simon Vance (AudioGO)
Read the review 

Confession time! (All these detectives around, I'd better confess readily or who knows what will happen to me.) I didn't ever get around to Hush Money. I mean, I listened to the sample, and Butler's voice is fine - a little more nasal than I like, and he hits some notes a bit hard - but the book held no interest at all for me, and it took a long time to arrive from the interlibrary loan, so I just didn't listen.

Still, I listened to - and enjoyed - the rest. And talked about them. (The Beautiful Mystery, The Nightmare, The Good Thief's Guide to Vegas, And When She Was Good.) Overall, it was a strong category and a lot of happy hours of listening for me. I was already a fan of Penny and (to a lesser degree) of Lippman and Ewan, so I knew I'd have a tough time picking between them. 

But pick I did, and Cosham's narration of The Beautiful Mystery was enthralling. I look forward to hearing on Thursday that I am correct! I'm also going to continue listening to as much as these authors publish. (Give or take Greaves.)

No comments:

Post a Comment