Monday, January 28, 2013

The Dead Shall Not Rest


The Dead Shall Not Rest by Tessa Harris
(Kensington, 2012)
Format: audiobook download via Audiobook Jukebox (narrated by Simon Vance for Blackstone Audio)

From Goodreads: "In the bestselling tradition of Caleb Carr's 'The Alienist,' Dr. Thomas Silkstone returns in this stunning mystery that combines the intrigue of 'CSI' with a fascinating 18th-century historical setting."


I was excited for this one. I enjoyed the first of the Thomas Silkstone mysteries (The Anatomist's Apprentice) and I may or may not have mentioned my partiality for Vance's narrations. And I did like it, definitely. But not unreservedly. The narration, sure, that was great. As engaging as possible, ideal inflection and pacing, the delightful warm tone. And Harris's main character, Dr. Thomas Silkstone, is terrific. His forays into the developing science of forensic anthropology are fascinating, and the recurring characters surrounding him are solid. My issue with this book was that the mystery itself wasn't particularly gripping. There were several interesting layers, with eunuchs and dwarfs and giants and evil barbers swirling through them, but not a lot holding them together. I lost interest too early in who-done-it, which isn't really ideal in a mystery. Silkstone's personal issues and Vance's narration kept me going. I want to see more from this series, but hopefully with a stronger internal structure.

No comments:

Post a Comment